c

c

Let's Get Social

Inspiration for living a luxuriously and balanced life

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Everyone Wants Great Skin!!! Facial ~ Masks

Part Two of 3 ~ Putting Your Best Face Forward

Many of us perform partial facials daily, we cleanse our face and apply a moisturizer/treatment or cream. Some may even add an exfoliate in the cleansing process. What may be missing is the Facial Mask. There are a variety of  Facial Masks ~ hydrating, exfoliating, lightening, nourishing or deep cleansing facial masks depending on the needs of your skin.

To obtain maxium benefit from a facial mask it needs to be applied to a freshly cleansed face; left on for 10-20 minutes; as you gently remove the mask the top layer of dead skin cells (which cause our complexions to look dull) is whisked away, exposing younger, healthier skin (cells). Leaving your face with  a tighter and brighter looking complexion. regular facial masks can also help reduce the look of fine lines and wrinkles.

Do at home facials work as well as spa facials?

While the spa facial offers many pampering perks, including being able to completely lay back while someone else selects the appropriate ingredients; applies the mask; watches the clock and cleans up afterward, if you know your skin's needs, you can get equally satisfing results results at home. 

If going the home route ...take the time to enjoy this process; relax and even if for only a few brief moments escape the stress of the day. Let everyone in house know that you will be unavailable for at least 30-40 minutes. This should avoid ~ husband banging on the bathroom door asking if you know where his lucky shirt is? or the children or furbabies trying to get in the bathroom wanting you. Also take in a timer so that you are fully enjoying your relaxing not worrying about checking the time.

When I was working in the corporate world, I would treat myself to a professional spa facial every couple of months. This was a great way to have an expert let me know how my skin was doing and if there was something I was over looking - like: mistaking dry skin for dehydrated skin or oily skin for using a too rich cream or if the products I was using were clogging my pores. 

Not to mention the added benefit of relaxing and fully enjoying the benefits of a facial and the pampering. Sometimes work and social obligations made it impossible to keep up with monthly visits, But I made it a point to schedule (and not miss) a facial at the change of each season.
One of my favourite ways to relax at the end of a work week use to be with a bubble bath, glass of wine (or bubbly), some classical music and soft scented candle. (since I lived alone at the time I did not have to worry about anyone bothering me ~ I did make sure that my black-berry and home phone ringers were turned off). I would cleanse my face thoroughly and then apply a mask and just lay back in the warmth of the water for 15-20 minutes and let the cares of the week escape.  

Ready to use masks and facial products can easily be found at your store drug store or beauty counter of your favourite department store and are available in all budget ranges. You may also choose to use home products from the Spa line of your favourite spa retreat. Masks can be used to sooth or energize, and the actions and rituals involved with applying a facial mask can be an effective stress reliever.

I use to make my in~home facial treatments a little more special by turning to the creations of Cleopatra and Marie Antoinette,  who used natural ingredients to create masks and baths to help nourish and rejuvenate their skin. These are a couple of the recipes I used and am looking forward to adding to my weekly routine again.

Marie Antoinette's Honey Facial Mask

2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup honey, warmed in the microwave

Combine all ingredients until well blended. Gently rub honey mask onto dry, cleansed skin. Let settle for 10-15 minutes and rinse off with tepid water. Or for an extra special facial treatment, dampen a towel (make sure to ring out completely). Microwave the damp towel on high for a few minutes until it is warm and steamy. Place the towel over your face and enjoy ! (about 5 minutes)

To add exfoliation to the honey moisturizing treatment, add 1/4 cup granulated sugar. The sugar will act as a gentle abrasive, helping to slough off the layers of dead skin that can make your complexion look dull.

Cleopatra's Honey & Milk Bath

The Legendary Queen of Egypt was known for her exquisite complexion and soft skin. One of her secret beauty treatments, the milk and honey bath are still being used today.

¼ cup of honey
¼ powdered milk or whole milk (Cleopatra used goat's milk)

Mix ingredients together; add this to your bath water. Soak for 15-20 minutes, let your skin absorb the ingredients. Finish with a tepid water rinse, to wash off milk bath. Enjoy your soft, nourished and beautiful skin.

Why these are fabulous for your skin:

Milk, contains lactic acid, which helps to exfoliate your skin. The lactic acid in milk is an alpha hydroxy acid, which helps to cleanse the deepest layers of the skin. Honey is rich in vitamins and minerals (glucose and fructose) - nutrients that seem to be perfect "food" for your skin.


What wonderful skin care secrets do you have?

you can read part one here of Putting your best face forward.
For some great linking Blog Hops check tab under Blog header.

23 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try both of these home facials. My skin is in dire need of pampering, along with everything else.
    Thanks ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the facial "recipes". I have tried a pumpkin and greek yogurt mask that made my skin very soft.

    I like to get facial several times a year - I opt for microdermabrasion treatments to really polish my skin and get all those nasty dead skin cells off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I can feel the facial going on right now. You make it sound so wonderful. I am going to try this. It is a wonderful ritual.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh a facial seems like just the thing this weekend! I will lock my door and steal time away from my nosy boys :)You have some great ones here...thank you for your thoughts for our little friend, it was a very intense 5 hour surgery but so far it appears that it has gone well...poor angel is in terrible pain though.
    Enjoy your weekend, good luck with the renovations!
    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sat blog hopping
    mamawannasave.com

    have a blessed weekend

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! And perfect timing for the weekend! I will definitely have to try one of these. Hope you have a fabulous weekend :) Hugs xx, Annemarie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I think home made masks are the best. I'll definitely try Cleopatra's mask. I am your new follower. Hope you can follow me back too. XX
    http://feminine-art.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds so wonderful, putting away for future referance, for when I get my bathroom back and finally have some time to myself:) Thanks for commenting on my blog. Off to snoop around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Celia,

    Instead of putting the avocado on the outside of the skin, both of us are eating half an avocado almost daily. That is SOOOOOOOOO good for your skin. Yogurt is also something I swear by for having a smooth complexion. It is great for your system and skin!

    Have a wonderful weekend and keep up your fabulous blogs.

    Lots of love,

    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the recipes! Can't wait to try them! :-)

    xoxo,
    Mrs. Sergeant
    www.airforce-wife-life.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another beautiful post about skin care {one of my favourite topics}. Thank you for the recipes.. I adore anything Cleopatra and Marie Antoinette!
    Wishing you a most lovely April weekend! xoxo, B

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you for cleopatra's recipe! i love masks
    but am too impatient to submit to an hour of
    it. this will be perfect for me.

    i have a question after reading part one. what
    IS the difference between dehydrated and dry?

    i don't have anything new at my place, but i
    would still love to know your answer.

    it looks like your blogging break has been
    fruitful, as you are a renewed wealth of great
    info!

    blessings,
    lea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lea .. thanks for the great question ...

    Most people misdiagnose their skin because both feel tight, rough, and uncomfortable. Dry skin is cause by not having enough oils in the skin, and dehydrated skin is from not having enough water in the skin. We require both moisture and hydration for a healthy, radiant glow.

    I also left a comment on your last with the aboe response .. I couldn't locate your email...xo HHL

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post xx I also find if I make sure I have a lot of olive oil in my diet my skin improves.. but I am drinking too much at the moment so its crap xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I must confess that I should do take care more often of my skin and do more facial masks.... but I just complain about my skin :S

    Thank you so much, angel for your comment on my blog....

    Mush love and blessings
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooooh you make me want to jump into my tub, some candles and some wine...that sounded so wonderful! And these facials, I have to try...I should do it more often. But as you said, I also try to go to a professional at least every other month. Wish it was cheaper though...in Norway it is quite expensive! Hope you're having a lovely Sunday!

    Kristin xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I almost fell off my chair when I read this post! Just this week, I went to Ulta and began my long and confusing quest for new and improved skin care!

    All I left with was a serum...but I do need a mask. I just might make one of the two ancient ones you mentioned. Hey, if it worked then, maybe I'll see a miracle here in good old 2011 :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I spent a couple hours outside near Lake Simcoe ... would you believe my face got burnt?!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely, delicious post! I am certainly going to try the mask recipes you suggest.
    Living in Spain I am quite extravagant with my use of olive oil. I use warmed olive oil with other mask ingredients, or on it's own to replenish my skin and hair. Works wonders every time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love pampering myself with a good facial mask and bubble bath!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do a facial mask made of crushed dry red lentils mixed with a little water to make a paste. I leave it on for about 45 minutes then gently rinse. It is the best exfoliating treatment I have ever done! Blackheads are way reduced!


    Laura
    Born To Be Styled

    ReplyDelete
  23. it seems a nice,,,,,,,,,..........thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Know that each one is appreciated and read. Any questions posed in comments in will be responded to via the Reply button below your comment. - Live Life Luxuriously!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...