c

c

Let's Get Social

Inspiration for living a luxuriously and balanced life

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Can we get some Quiet ... please?

It has been explained to me that meditation is about being in the present moment. It's about focusing on quietening the mind while directing your concentartion to one healing element - a sound, a word, an image or your own breath. When you manage to fill the mind with the feeling of calm and peace, it cannot drift off on its own and worry, stress out or get depressed.

So, with all the peaks and valleys I have been feeling, I've been trying to attempt meditation as a means to lessen the strength of my melt downs and get some control of my darken thoughts.  I have been trying the "simple meditation" technique for awhile now. Basically it involves closing my eyes and slowly relaxing the whole body. Then keeping count of the breaths I'm taking by counting from ten down to one and keep repeating this action for about five minutes. If any (when) other thoughts enter my mind, I'm to push them out and carry on counting in time with my breathing. If (when) I lose  focus, I'm to simply start over. After about 5 minutes, I'm to stop counting. Next, breath calmly for a few moments and slowly open my eyes. Wow, this has not been an easy task.

I also tried a guided meditation class, which  I found to be more helpful in keeping the busy thoughts under control. Unfortunately it is not an ongoing class.

I'm determined to not give up, as I believe meditation can be helpful to ones healthy existence...so next I'm going to try some meditation tapes.

I would love to know if you meditate and what has worked for you.



17 comments:

  1. I've never tried meditation, but want to one day. I think it's something we all can use. Don't give up sweet friend.

    Hugs,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Celia,

    No, I've never tried meditation to that extend... Closing my eyes when stressed and thinking about black velvet for a soothing moment, but not for five minutes!
    Don't give up anything that has helped you. Our mind is an important part of the body and it sends healing...

    Lots of love,

    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really meditate, except when I'm trying to go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celia it is really wonderful bcause we are constantly bombarded with so much noice.

    Our minds and phyches need a reat & rejuvenation!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meditation is such a good thing! I am a fan of visualization as well - helps to quiet your mind of all the noise. Takes some practice and I seem to turn to it just when stressed - need to do it more consistently. Best of luck and hope you find it helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have had periods where i have meditated regularly and it seems to be something that, if done often enough, gets better each time

    good luck with it, the tapes helped me. as did a book I got out of the local library on affirmations...I also find thinking of a certain colour helped to clear my mind

    Gill xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried meditation before and it really helps clear the mind and relieve some stress...
    I find it easier to meditate using some meditation music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The moment you begin to try and stop the thoughts more will flow through. Acknowledge them and spend a few seconds on them and then move on. It is the gap between each thought that will lengthen in due time.
    Try to focus the mind on your breath observing the way it flows, the temperature, the sensations that arise. This will encourage the mind to calm.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of Luck to you C on your meditation. I can't sit still for 2 min. I can't keep the same thought for 30 seconds. I have a zillion thoughts running through my head constantly. (do i even need to begin how I barly survived the symphony Friday evening?? (LAWDY)

    I hope your feeling well today. Many (((HUGS))) to you sweetie.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am your newest follower from FMBT, look forward to checking out your blog, have a great day!
    Aprils Lifestyle Show
    April

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah - quiet and meditation are so important. There's a book I highlighted on my blog once: "All Health's Breaking Loose" . I think her advice fits in perfectly with what you're saying.

    This is a great post, friend. Hope you have a wonderful day!
    oxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. i don't meditate but i love to just sit outside on a lovely day and think/reflect, which i think has a similar effect to meditation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have tried to meditate, but it's so hard for me to keep the everyday-thoughts out of my head. (What's for dinner? I need to pay the bills! Where are my keys?) I would love to be able to immerse myself in it, especially in the evenings, as I'm gearing down after a long day. Let us know how it goes for you - best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is perfectly natural for your mind to rush around, wondering about dinner and where are your keys :)
    You just direct it back to where you want it. As you continue to do this, it gets easier and happens less often. Even meditation takes practice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like you Celia I found it impossible to quiet the internal chatter. But guided meditations work wonders for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've had periods where I do it everyday and then I go on vacation or something and I loose focus. It's a habit, like exercise and you really have to make time for it. I just get so distracted...especially since I started blogging...lol Here's a 21-day challenge that you might like to try. http://www.chopra.com/meditationchallenge

    hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Know that each one is appreciated and read. Any questions posed in comments in will be responded to via the Reply button below your comment. - Live Life Luxuriously!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...