c

c

Let's Get Social

Inspiration for living a luxuriously and balanced life

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Italian Farmer's Soup

If you stopped by HHL earlier this week, you know that winter has finally arrived in our area. So what better way to welcome the snow and cold than with a pot of Italian Farmer's Soup. This soup is super easy to make.


You'll need 500g of assorted dry legumes.
 We use Bartlolini Farmer's Soup pre-packaged legumes, but you can use any combination you have on hand.
Place the legumes in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Let sit for at least 12 hours.
After 12 hours or so drain water.
Fill a large stock pot with water and add the legumes, salt water. Bring to boil and simmer for 35 minutes.


While the legumes are cooking it's time to prep the veggies.
Celery - we use 2 stixs
Fresh Garlic - 2 cloves
Small Onion - 1 small
Baby Carrots - about two hand fulls
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Tomatoes - 
Ground Pepper
Salt - we use sea salt
Dice the celery, garlic, onion and carrots. Place couple tablespoons of EVOO in a skillet and gently saute the veggies. Add salt, pepper to taste - 


Once the veggies are cooked (carrots may still be a little hard), with a perforated ladle, carefully scoop out the legumes and add to skillet - leaving the water in stock pot. Mix the legumes with the veggies and let stand to blend flavours. 


While the veggies and legumes are doing their thing, chop tomatoes - add to water in stock pot. Stir. Then add the legumes and veggie mixture to stock pot. Bring to boil and simmer an additional 20-25 minutes. 


Voila! Yummy Italian Farmer's Soup with crusty bread - perfect for a cold winter's day!


The great thing about making soup - is that there is always lots for the next day and even a little extra to take to a friend too!

What is your go to soup when the weather hits colder than cold outside?






Sharing this post with:   My Simple Country Life for The Country Homemaker Hop ;Katherine of Katherine’s Corner for Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop;  Sandy at Rose Chintze Cottage for Home Wednesdays; Kathy of A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden Thursday;Sheri at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet HomeCourtney of French Country Cottage for Feather Your Nest Friday; Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday.

14 comments:

  1. Dearest Celia,
    You are so right about cold weather calling for a hearty soup! This Italian Farmer's Soup is delicious and rather easy to make. I love about any hearty soup that can be eaten as a meal with bread alone. The lighter soups or consommé style are nice to serve at a dinner with a main course. Of course, the meal soup is eaten in larger quantities than just the smaller cups for a consommé...
    Stay warm and cozy and enjoy such great winter fare together.
    Hugs to you dear friend,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will save this because you know I am going to be needing it next year. Right now, I cannot stand to even be in the kitchen.
    Love, C in a hot wave in Argentina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! I end up going to one of the local restaurants for soup these days...they make awesome soup and I don't have to clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could make all sorts of combinations starting with this mix. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love soup. Looks yummy. I love beans too, so this is calling my name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Celia!

    Lots of fun soup recipes as we are in the midst of winter:) I love it! Your's looks delicious. The stock ingredients are perfect and work every time. Stay warm!
    xxL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made a soup like this tonight. These are the foods that get me through the winter and keep me slim!
    xo
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so cold and windy here in the UK and this soup would be just perfect comfort food. Thank you for the step by step recipe.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a hearty soup for a cold weather meal Celia. I make various kinds of soup, don't have a favourite and a big pot does last 2 people for many suppers.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum! This kinda soup is definitely my go to. I also make regular broth and an amazing chick pea soup.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks divine. I love winter soups. This week I made a creamy sweet potato and carrot soup. I did add a naughty dash of double cream at the end ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Celia,
    Your soup looks very hearty! Soup is wonderful this time of year.
    I make a Cream of Veggie soup which I learned to make in Home Ec and my family loves it. I also like a Hamburger soup which my DIL makes. Thank you for sharing with my HOME and enjoy your weekend, my friend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  13. perfectly yummy cold weather food. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo P.S. the new giveaway started Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the post; I had picked up the Bartolini Legumes but could hardly read the recipe. I've added some broth, some acini di pepe and Italian seasoning ... smells and tastes delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Know that each one is appreciated and read. Any questions posed in comments in will be responded to via the Reply button below your comment. - Live Life Luxuriously!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...